Wine Tasting Weekend


Home to over 650 wineries and vineyards, Washington is now the number-two premium wine-producing state in the country. Even so, success hasn’t spoiled Washington State wine country. It’s still a place where you can take a wine tour off the beaten path and get away from the wine tour rush hour you’ll find in places like… Well, it’s not polite to name names. So let’s just say Washington wine country is still a place where you can meet the vintner. It’s the kind of place that makes wine lovers want to sip and savor, not gulp and go. Excellent reds and whites can be found at wineries on both sides of the Cascade Range and are reason enough to add a winery tour to your itinerary.

This weekend a few of Chelsea and my friends meet at Zillah, WA to share a few of these tastes and enjoy the NON city life. From Tricites, Walla Walla, Yakima, and Seattle and Renee Keith from LA we had a “wine tasting weekend”. This weekend started off with a little rest and relaxation with my auntie in Zillah, WA on Friday October 8th, 2010.

Zillah, WA a 1150 population where I was raised, just mins from Toppenish, WA were I was born. That’s where the journey began or in other words “where it all started”.

Saturday everyone was asked to bring to the platte. I got up at 7:30 am and got the food prepared next door. Bagels, fruit, bacon, eggs, and wheat waffles. The breakfast was hosted by yours truly, Laurie Robertson. Her home is perfect for catering seven women. It’s great to be able to sit down when I go back home and have dinner. I really enjoy those times, sipping on some tasty coffee, and mimosas presented by Chelsea Dickson. It really was a great way to start the morning. The anticipation waits for 5 of our friends await us at the first winery. We started our wine tasting at Hyatt winery in Zillah, WA. This was the first winery I was “gamed on” (I was told about). I enjoy the view (it rained most of the day in and out) and the set-up. This winery is very open and in the summer time have many weddings and events. Tara, Jess, Chelsea O. and her friend accompanied. It was great to have the Walla Walla gals join us along with Tara. Everyone got along sooo well and we really were able to agree on a lot (food, treats, and wineries). Starting off with a variety f wines with little crackers in between the fun began.

Afterwards we decided Two mountains can wait and took on Tara's recommendation. Upon a GREAT discover “Masion de Padgett” this winery had fabulous labels with interesting catchy names “ Lip Service, Singing Toad, Funky Monkey (Tara’s Favorite). I believe since I was sick things didn’t taste as normal. I made it happen throughout the whole trip. We all enjoyed this location that we decided to head over to the Two Mountain winery and checked things out. We then approach a very small ma and pa winery (mind you I was the one planning this trip). When I called around everything seemed soo great food, winery, location, and a VERY eventful time. I think I was a little more disappointed than anyone, but again I’m the one planning and making the call. Sooo glad we made up for 3 more wineries. When we approached this winery I wasn’t thrilled. The anticipation of some tasty 10.00 a person food. The grape stomping wasn’t all that cool, but we still got dirty and made up for it. Although one crate of wines to fit two people (which most people wouldn’t do) and a little crock pot of Chili wasn’t going to cut it for 15 HUNGRY women. We had been wine tasting for hours. After a few tastes and realizing a little restless people who needed energy we decided lets get out of this place and head to El Porton. We always see a party or two (we were the party this time). Great food to then head over to Patty’s Chocolates, my aunties ex mother in laws. I indulged in my tasty, simple, but oh so perfect white and milk chocolate covered pretzel. We all need a little treat sometimes.

Afterwards we went to Claar Cellars and went back to the same area were Hyatt and Masion de Padgett was to another VERY popular name Bonair winery. As we entered the long wet road leading to the winery we ran into the house to the right where Oscar the Turkey lived. He awaited us with a friendly gobble gobble and perked up his feathers, as Chelsea tried to take a picture of angry Oscar. I know he is quite friendly, but at that given time he was protecting his friends (the roaster and other turkey as they started their journey in and out of the grape vines. As we approached the entrance of the winery to the left they have a pond where you can picnic and enjoy the scenery. Approaching the two winery gals they were ready to serve us and began with wine making lingo and again ending the trip with another few purchase. This was a great place for 5.00 snacks: peanut, trial mixes, and cheese/crackers (NO, we will NOT talk about how I touch/stole a cracker and cheese from the couple. It was a complete accident (Ask Tara about it). We are always mischief when we are together. HAHA J I love her to death, so glad she came.

The last winery we visited was the Servino winery where Chels ended up getting a token, and bring hone a many memory. This winery was an old house in the town in which I grew up. I never knew who lived there, but one summer when I came back as I grew up and became the historical house in the area. It seemed to be people less for quite some time until the oldest sister of the Spurlock family. She know is their daily and handles the WHOLE wine life. She was a pleasant women who merchandised a lot of fun items. We had free 5 main features of wine. I wasn’t too much of a fan, but I will have to say they do their Riesling well and it's their top seller. I enjoy Grapes a lot, but I do have to say enjoying them in this was is a great way to gather with friends. I am sure many people enjoy wine weekends, but their was out first and WON”T be our last. I enjoy planning and taking trips long distance. It was a great time to get out of the valley (even know the rain was their all weekend and the sky was overcast). It made it more enjoyable, comfortable, and we could easily adjust, but the views weren’t viable. There is so many wineries and hope you will use these to help you.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog lady...and what better way to say everything.

    A great weekend!!! and on to the next one..WALLA WALLA WINE RELEASE DEC 3-5! GET TO PLANNING PEOPLE!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day

Planning a Birthday Party

COUPONS, SHOPPING w/ COUPONS, and USING COUPONS