The Summer W/ Cousin Daisha

J. Russell


My cousin, Jessica came to visit me for her birthday weekend. Boy did she not even know what to expect. I had just recently had everything planned for her trip and I decided why not write about everything you can do in NYC in a short period of time, with a quick guide to "how to get around".





I also had my dearest friends Angelica & Raquel join me in February and this was the perfect to combine everything that we did here in NYC all in one.

New Jersey City; Taqueria
Living in NYC can be very stressful (but you can always have some chips/sales & margarita), especially when you have a new job, you don't know a lot of people, and then you mix the getting around. I think for being very very geographically challenged I'm able to get around pretty good. I didn't get the whole Harlem (West and East Sides) for a while (don't ask), but I have finally figured it out. Anyways the MTA system is a breeze and now I'm learning the NJ transit which is hard/frustrating sometimes (Path, NJ transit, Lite Rail & Coach buses) but I've only been there fore six months. I love to explore and find new things, I think having Jessica, Angelica, and Raquel visit helped me learn to be ok with getting lost. I use to get super frustrated at first. Getting on the wrong train and standing around not realizing WHAT direction you need to go to get lost again. I don't like it, but I have found a lot of exciting "NEW" spots to go to.

Overall having these ladies visit me was a great time and I got to do the tourist things that I always wanted to do (people who are from NYC don't want to do that kind of stuff).

First off I highly recommend you download the MTA transit Map on your phone.

Prepare yourself
 I mean you can always buy a map, but its better to NOT look like a tourist. I always refer back to my map MTA Subway Map App JUST to make sure (I still use it today). Then again I've only been here for almost 2 years. I also use HOPSTOP (how to get around on the trains); I can easily pop in any address from my current location and gives me the BEST options (bus, lite rail (NJ), subway, path); NYC & NJ). Love it.

MTA Weekly Pass
I also recommend, because of cost to get a weekly (I know you might ONLY stay for four days), its $30.00 bucks. You can use this to and from your destinations, bus, subway, and it doesn't matter how many times you swipe in an hour. NEVER fails to have someone who wants to buy a "budget" friendly card (my NYC friends) and we always have to wait for her to fill her card up. Its annoying and believe me totally worth the $30.00 bucks. I never realized how many times I swipe in one day especially after work. I'm always exploring. Just take in consideration; roundtrip is $5.00 a trip...no brainer If your going from uptown to downtown ($5) to times square ($10) to Brooklyn ($15) , to downtown Manhattan ($20) and now upper east side ($25) and then to lower east ($30): that might be two days of that, and HOPING you don't get lost or on the wrong track (that's additional)...you get my drift?

Highlight

Times Square

Central Park

Grand Central Station

Empire State Building

Rockafella Museum

The highline

Fashion District

Science Museum

MOMA

Brooklyn Bridge;

South Seaport (Ferry : $4.00 roundtrip) (To South SeaPort-Brooklyn-Upper East Side)

Circle Line Cruise

Battery Park/ 911 Monument/Towers/Wall Street

The Met (Opera Hall)

Coney Island (Beach)

Long Beach (Beach)

Jersey, Hoboken

Lets talking real talk right now. Do you really think people who live here take their friends to all the places above and send the cash to go into these spots? NO.....we don't in fact I rather spend my time walking by and taking a selfie. I want my friends to enjoy; Wine and beer tasting, coffee conventions, Mercedes Benz fashion week, Brooklyn Bridge festivals, Smorgasbord and many more eventful things. I really enjoy having fun and exploring new neighborhoods and make an effort to ensure I do EVERYTHING before I leave (good food, hole in the wall, historical piece, have a tasty drink). I mean at this point you get my drift.


Coney Island


My to do list.... (Never ending list)

Queens
Road trip to the South (Nashville & South/North Carolina)
Visit Rhode Island, Maine,
Bear Park
Visit an urban lounge NOT in the city
Astoria for the tasty food
Bedford Ave during the summer (I went during the winter)
Bronx: Riverdale
Long Island City
Long Island
Boardwalk in Jersey (where Snooki's show was filmed)
Two Boots Pizza








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day

Planning a Birthday Party

COUPONS, SHOPPING w/ COUPONS, and USING COUPONS