Be our guest....

This weekend I visited the "family" I adopted when moving here. Their daughter and I are pretty close friends. I love Amanda dearly. We had a full house this weekend and thought I would write about the things I learned, noticed, and saw over the last few days. I've been wanting to add this to my blog for some time now. I normally tend to think I'm the ideal guest, but I'm always learning something new.


As most of you may know by now I have OCD, I like things in order, and enjoy hosting to sure everything is always clean and organized. I think there are a few key things to keep in mind. This isn't about being polite or having manners IT'S how everyone should be (in my opinion).
 
When you are at someone's home and you are "their guests" you should act proper and polite at all times. I mean what does that even mean? Be respectful, mindful, and have love for their home weather your "close" to them or just passing through. Always keep in mind, you can help, always offer, and never assume someone is fine and doesn't need help.

BRING A TREAT...
Always bring a "little" something. I tend to stop at the local bakery near me and get a little treats. Sometimes I bring dinner over or bring a fun project you've been working on to make someone smile (scarf, mini pocket book, DIY calendar, SOMETHING) to show your thankful for staying at their home.

ALWAYS CLEAN YOUR DISHES AND SOURROUNDING AREAS..
If you have a few items that you use in their home, please take a few mins to clean them. Make sure you're not piling up the dishes in their sink.

OFFER TO HELP...
If you see someone cleaning up, cleaning the dishes, etc. you should offer to help. It's a courtesy, yet respectful thing to do to help when someone offered to feed you, slave and cook, in addition to prep and host all day long.

BE KIND...
Use manners, be kind, respectful, and make everyone feel welcome. Don't over step your boundaries. Use kind words, don't bad talk about someone, use profanity, and bad gestures.

YOUR BELONGINGS..
Keep in mind that you aren't not home. Don't hang items up, don't use dressers, and don't clean your cloths, because your staying in the basement with the washer/dryer. Make sure you keep all your belongings in ONE area. It's better to know where your items are, so you don't have to fish for each one later or bother them about something YOUR misplaced.

USING THE KITCHEN...
I always ask for the basic tools before I start fishing around in someone's kitchen. I love to make breakfast for them, but be mindful that you don't over indulge or make to little or two much. If someone is going to the store take a ride and find something that is simple, in your budget, and not to complex or messy to make. I always look at Ree Drummond, Betty Crocker, or Taste of Home. They always have something simple, yet delicious meals to put together in a jiffy.

*if you don't like cleaning after yourself or dishes, then I suggest YOU don't use someone's kitchen. OR ask someone to help you (one of your friends, their kids, or even make it a group thing).

What are something's you can do to help around the house while being there...

- Offer to take the trash OR just take it out
- Clean the dishes as you see them pile up, dry the dishes, put them away
- Offer to get some milk, eggs, coffee, or any other commonly used food items in the home
- Order something to get delivered to the house; bagels and coffee with the fixings, donuts, or even a dessert of some sort (if you don't drive).
- Take a walk around the town/city/neighborhood, explore a little, or take a little breathier  with them
- Take the dog out for a walk
- If someone says they are in need of something in the family offer to help or just do it, help them out if you can: Make an appointment, get some milk, put up her curtains in her room, etc. JUST DO IT...


THANK YOU CARD
I visit this family in South Jersey a lot and I love to leave a little something that they will find when they are cleaning. I know the mom likes candies/chocolates/treats. Sometimes I will get her a little something and then call her in a few days later, to let her know I left her a "hidden" bar/bag of snickers, Baby Ruth, Hershey's, Candies. Sometimes I like to leave a card on the table when they aren't looking then run out. Its about being thoughtful and kind. Take advantage of the kindness in your heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day

Planning a Birthday Party

COUPONS, SHOPPING w/ COUPONS, and USING COUPONS