New Years Eve Brunch ( NYE )

Hello there 2019!
Wow, writing it the other day was rather ( I mean trying it, who I'm I kidding )  interesting, I know I would pretend this year was here. I would laugh with friends and just say imagine we are in 2020, HOLD UP, this literally next year, I always thought it looked funny when writing it ( back them we wrote things down).

Oh the times  have changes and so have you, wait so have I. I had a NYE brunch on Saturday and whipped up this breakfast casserole.

OK so it took me two days because I wanted to make sure it was perfect, the potatoes were delicious but it should only take you 30 prep and 50 mins cook ( then cheese topping 5 mins ) total 1hour and 15 mins.... OR you can cheat and use frozen hash. This recipe will have a way to make real potatoes each time, sooo the 30 minutes prep will already be done. NOW I got you back. I know busy life, busy mom, OK well as a single women with no kids who just bought their first home in the last few months I finally made my FIRST recipe in my home,which seems micro, but its HUGE for these days. Not for me, but people rather follow a recipe making your own from scratch is huge. I'll add it to Pinterest and you can see the photos, but this will be soooo easy once you've done it.

Here's the recipe, have fun and leave a comment /photo /email me when you've made it.

6 medium/small potatoes ( that's all I had ) 3 - 4 russet large potatoes would be ideal. ( See below "
Prepare to freeze hashbrowns"
olive oil 6 swirls throughout the recipe
1/4 cup red peppers
1/4 cup  green peppers
1/2 cup of yellow onion ( not sweet ) or white onion will work, finely diced
 2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon of green onions, finely diced- reserved a bit for the end
6 sliced, diced pieces of bacon ( you can add more its OK)
7 eggs
1/4 cup of 2%/whole milk I used a splash of half and half and water to equal the 1/4 cup
1 cup of Mexican or Italian blend cheese ( not both silly) - reserve 1/4 cup for the end
dash of black peppercorn and sea salt (  I DO NOT USE TABLE SALT ever ) for seasoning

Chop the veggies and you want them finely diced, no one wants a huge piece of onion in this casserole.

Prepare to freeze hashbrowns

Peel and shred all potatoes
Add the shredded potato to cold water in a bowl for 5 mins
Remove and add to a colander and drain and run lukewarm water over them, tossing a bit, then squeeze out of the water.
Use a  cheese cloth to get the extra water out
let sit for about 5 more mins
Divide them up and add to zip lock bags for the food exhaustion, quick meals, weekend brunch, date night and more.
YOU have frozen hashbrowns!!!
Simple and easy.

I never liked hashbrowns and will ALWAYS try to substitute because most times at places they are a waste of carbs and I rather have a donut. Well its true, top pot maple bar donut, OH nooooo I'm spinning out of control.

Warm up your cast iron skillet or large pain I did both to see what would work and the drippings from the cast iron really added flavor to the dish. You can do one set of hashys ( love this word) and then the rest in a regular pan, either way have some or all of the cast iron.  Add a swirl or two of olive oil ( may have to add some each time or in between cooking). Add seasoning salt and pepper while in the pan. I cooked them at medium-high then brought it down just to get the pan working. Layered the hashys along the pan and spread them throughout to get an even crisp cooked on each side. Flip them when its crisp, not burnt (cook until it's translucent and done). They cook up pretty darn fast I must say. Keep adding the rest until it's complete. Move to a bowl, you want one to use in the fridge overnight.  Cook the bacon until its ready to your liking, then dice and set aside. Hello, we need bacon in this dish, for those of you who don't eat pork, you can leave it out. Substitute for sausage, its OK. You want both, OK that's great!!! It's 2019, why not.

Mean while in another pan with a swirl of olive oil add the onion, garlic, and green/red peppers until cooked and then tossed in the hashy, bacon and mix. I highly recommend you cook the veggies in the cast iron skillet, veggies are your natural flavor. But hey if you dont have one its OK. Promise! I use these veggies in almost everything I cook STAPLES!

Now you can continue the steps and not add do it over night and add it to the bowl, just simply add the mixture to the casserole dish. I'm using my new Krissy Tegien casserole dish ( see image ). It was one of my house warming gifts that I got from my dear friend Angelica and her husband Chris, thanks guys.

Add the eggs, milk, 3/4 cup of the cheese, green onions then season with salt and pepper. Keep in mind the bacon has a salty taste, most times I don't add salt but as mentioned that hasbrowns are bland, so I did here. Because I'm using bacon I sprinkle or dash with the sea salt. Add tin foil to keep the heat and moisture in. Bake at 350 for 35 - 40 mins. When the eggs look like they are not wiggling this is a good indication its done. I removed the tin foil and then added the left over bacon, green onions, and cheese. The house will smell OH so good. Scrap the eggs and make it clean for your party and I ended up getting 10 helpings out of this recipe.

Preparing for a brunch like me: I ended up making everything ahead so I would only had to whip up the egg mixture in the morning. This allowed me to bring a hot dish to the brunch party and it was perfect.

I hope you enjoy and let me know how and what you did different.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day

Planning a Birthday Party

COUPONS, SHOPPING w/ COUPONS, and USING COUPONS